To keep a pet dog in Shanghai, you need to follow certain regulations and rules, including applying for a license for dogs older than 3 months, keeping your dog on a leash while out in public, and getting your dog a rabies immunization certificate.
Here are some guidelines to help you with the application process.
Dog license registration
Conditions for application:
1. Owner who raises the dog must be an adult (over 18 years old) and have a fixed place of residence in Shanghai.
2. Limited to one dog per household.
3. Only dog breeds that are not prohibited in Shanghai.
For more information, check:
https://zwdt.sh.gov.cn/govPortals/bsfw/item/71e16fef-1902-4de4-94ef-87b2a088a46c (in Chinese)
1. Personal identification certificate (Chinese ID card or other accepted ID including passport, mainland travel permit for Hong Kong and Macau residents, and Taiwan Compatriot Permit).
2. Property ownership certificate or proof of a property lease agreement (some districts, such as Pudong New Area, require that the owner of the dog must be the same as the owner of the property. For specific arrangements in each district, consult your regional dog management office).
3. Dog's immunization certificate.
4. Certificate of Shanghai Dog Neutering Operation if your dog has been neutered. Owners will get 50 percent reduction in management fees for sterilized dogs.
Dog's immunization certificate
The rabies immunization certificate is divided into two types: new application and annual renewal.
For new application, the e-identification (chip) injection, which costs 60 yuan (US$8.35), needs to be performed after the rabies vaccination, which also costs 60 yuan.
Only the rabies vaccination is required for annual renewals.
When the owner takes his/her dog to the rabies vaccination site, the staff will provide them with an application form for the Shanghai dog rabies immunization certificate.
After the dog owner fills out the form, the staff will enter the information into the Shanghai dog management system and take a photo of the dog. Once the information is entered, the dog will be vaccinated.
After the vaccination is completed, the staff will provide the dog owner with the rabies immunization certificate, which can be used to apply for a dog license.
Scan the QR code below to find the approved vaccination sites (in Chinese) for rabies in each district in Shanghai. Call to consult before going; the number for the English customer service is 6233-9200.
Guidelines on offline registration
1. The dog owner goes to local police station and submits the application materials.
2. The handling police officer will review the application materials on the spot. If there are any errors in the application materials, they can be corrected on the spot. If the application materials are incomplete or do not comply with requirements, the applicant will receive a notice of correction within five working days.
3. If the application materials are complete and correct, the dog owner needs to pay the annual dog management fee. The police station should issue a receipt and provide a certificate of registration for the dog owner. The fee for registration is 500 yuan per dog per year for areas within the Inner Ring Road, and 300 yuan per dog per year for areas outside the Inner Ring Road. (The registration fee is subject to changes.)
4. The police station will complete the review of dog registration materials within 10 working days. For those that meet the conditions, a dog registration certificate and a license tag will be issued.
Scan the QR code below for the approved police stations (in Chinese) in each district in Shanghai. Call to consult before going.
Guideline on registration online
Log in to the official website of Government Online-Offline Shanghai (https://zwdt.sh.gov.cn/smzy/shell_pc/personal/dog-keeping-guide?id=182852) or download the Suishenban (随申办) app to apply for a dog license online. (Note: all the services provided online are in Chinese.)
Upload the relevant materials and wait for the review to be completed. After that, you can choose to have the dog certificate sent to your home by delivery or pick it up in person.
Annual document review
For residents who apply for annual document review online and don't need to change the information submitted during their initial application, the system will automatically update the information.
Residents who apply for annual document review offline still need to bring all the materials they used during their initial application. The local police station will complete the review of the materials within 10 working days.
For more information please check:
Change of address
If a dog owner needs to change his/her address, they only need to bring the property ownership certificate or rental contract of the new address, and their personal identification documents to apply at their local police station. The police station will complete the review of the application materials within five working days.
For more information please check:
Banned dog breeds in Shanghai